Family Law

How does the relationship registry work?

Published in: March 2017

Using the Relationships Register Act 2010 (NSW) as our statutory example, two adults who are in a relationship can register if:

  • at least one of the partners resides in the State;
  • neither person is married, in a registered relationship, or in a relationship as a couple with any other person; and
  • the parties are not related by family.
In order to register the relationship, the couple must lodge an application with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages and generally speaking, there is a 28 day cooling off period. 

Contact Eddy Neumann Lawyers on (02) 9264 9933 or
by email for clear and expert advice.
You will be directed to one of our experienced lawyers who can assist your needs.


Level 1, 255 Castlereagh Street Sydney NSW 2000 | PH 02 9264 9933 | FAX 02 9264 9966 |

© 2007 - 2016 Eddy Neumann Lawyers  |  Site by EWide  |  Disclaimer